Monday, February 4, 2008

My Two Hats

For those who have been around the Union for a while and have had the pleasure of seeing a few bargaining sessions, you may remembered the once every two year rite of passage as Dean Linton would give his famed “two hats” speech. Sadly it didn’t happen this last Friday, though he did warn us to watch our rhetoric, we can say we got a different kind of two hats speech. The University opened with the old let’s talk about the “total package” that we fine GTFs get, remember now we’re the best and brightest, and how we should be thankful that while the University raised tuition they once again agreed to pay the extra costs. And after all, they reminded us, you have to talk about the tuition waiver because when a GTF is busy running labs, teaching discussion sections, and grading papers at a greatly discounted price, we can’t forget that the University suffered “lost” income when we didn’t pay tuition. Followed by a gripping presentation about how their wage proposal is commensurate with other EMPLOYEE groups on campus and than immediately followed by a presentation where the University reminded their EMPLOYEES that they are STUDENTS that should pay their rightful fees. We’ll forget the fact that they largely contradicted themselves by demanding that we pay large chunks of “STUDENT fees”, but also agreed to pay the “mandatory UNIVERSITY fees (some of which may actually be classified as student fees?).” Furthermore, they were quick to point out that if we wanted to we could just vote to lower those fees. That’s right, I remember now, I never voted on those fees in the first place and while I had no power over their creation, I certainly have the power to get rid of those pesky “student fees.” But even better, all I have to do is remember that I too have two hats and while I work for that poverty wage I can be happy to know that I also pay those “student fees” so I can stand in solidarity with my fellow students. Because when I think of it like that, I don’t mind giving back 9% of my salary. Wait, I think I remember something about how we shouldn’t be taxed by place that we work for, but I would have to put on my EMPLOYEE hat to think like that.

helping bring up the social class rear,

Mark

No comments: