Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Do you feel safe?

It's funny how the University can somehow find ways to look so foolish at the table. For example, they can argue that it isn't perfectly reasonable to expect that we work in a safe and healthy place, and that we have the tools and supplies needed to do the job THEY hired us to do. It's not that they don't think that these things are important in the abstract (well maybe they do and maybe they don't), but somehow they can find a way to simultaneously call us the "best and the brightest" and at the same time imply that we can't be trusted to be 'reasonable' in defining what is a safe and healthy space. "Surely" they argue "shouldn't their be some sort of objective standard by which we can say this person has made a reasonable determination that they feel unsafe." Huh, 'I feel unsafe,' now please tell me if my feelings are valid and have met the University-determined threshold so I can know if I am being 'reasonable' or not. Sounds perfectly logical to me.

No comments: